Virginia Tech Rescue Squad
Who we are
The Virginia Tech Rescue Squad (VTRS) is an entirely student-run organization and performs the same functions of a municipal rescue squad. The squad operates 24-hours a day, 365 days-a-year, and responds to around 1,200 emergency calls each year on the Virginia Tech Blacksburg campus. VTRS also provides emergency medical services at major university and athletic events and delivers training opportunities throughout the year for the campus community.
In addition to response to 911 calls on the Blacksburg campus, our agency:
- Provides routine transport service from Schiffert Health Center to hospitals throughout the region;
- Provides comprehensive incident/event management for all large-scale planned events;
- Supplies routine standby services to affiliated and non-affiliated organizations as requested;
- Manages the University Public Access Defibrillation (AED) program; and
- Teaches CPR/AED, First Aid, Vitals, and Stop the Bleed classes.